We have a vacancy for a new Design and Development Engineer who will be responsible for supporting and maintaining the design, development and testing of the exisiting range of products as well as all future product developments. Reporting to the General Manager, the Design and Development Engineer will also be responsible for all design/CAD supporting documentation, supporting production on technical issues and equipment.
• Ensure timely delivery of key stages of the design project.
Design, Development and Testing
• Develop innovative product design solutions.
• Work on a full product lifecycle from concept design stage through prototype development and testing to final product approval and CE marking.
• Operate test equipment, review standards and be able to interpret the requirements for test equipment and test processes.
• Work with prototype manufacturing processes such as rapid prototyping SLA’s.
CAD Concept and presentations
• Produce concept drawings for customer approval and quotations.
• Produce information from drawings for variety of end users, skilled and unskilled in all areas of the business from manufacturing to sales and purchasing.
• Create full manufacturing drawings from Autodesk Inventor models, for a wide variety of manufacturing processes and manual assembly.
• Model parts and subassemblies and projects using Autodesk Inventor.
• Proficient in the use of current Microsoft packages including Outlook and be adept in picking up new software and systems.
• Understanding and interpreting customer brief, visiting customer sites when required and taking measurements and details.
EN Standards, and Statutory legislation
• Understand legal, statutory requirements such as but not limited to the EU directives, EN standard requirements and current health and safety law.
Semmco Tools, BoM’s MRP
• Understand part number system operated by Semmco, and how this is recorded on WinMan (ERP system).
• Identify the required properties within Inventor programme and add these using Semmco tools to enable integration with WinMan to ensure efficient operation.
Semmco System for files & data management
• Ensure correct storage of all data, documentation model and drawing files and to work with other members of staff to improve data storage systems.
Checking details of drawings
• Self-check own projects for accuracy and completeness before handover to production and purchasing.
• Ensure project files, meeting records and technical information are kept up-to-date.
• Produce associated design documentation including but not limited to, bills of materials, parts lists and project files.
• The LPS Design and Development Engineer must have knowledge of production techniques available to be used, for example Moulding of plastic components, small part assembly, Welding, Fabrication, Adhesives and sealants. Knowledge of these functions is essential to product designs which are economical to manufacture.
• Strong personal knowledge of product development, manufacturing/production techniques and systems, relevant industry standards and best practice for the company product line in addition to knowledge of CAD techniques and systems.
• It is expected that the LPS Design and Development Engineer is responsible for ensuring their knowledge of these matters is up to date.
• Answering the telephone in a professional manner
• Administration and filing
• Ensuring that the company quality procedures are followed and reviewed accordingly with the quality representative.
• Availability to ensure company office is always staffed during working hours.
• Report and liaise with sales, purchasing and production teams regarding progress of projects with due dates for completion of various stages of design process and specific technical issues with each project.
• The LPS General Manager is your line manager but the position will involve working closely with other members of the company and following instructions and requests from them.
• Provide technical support to colleagues and customers.
• Work as part of the design team and provide support to colleagues and management team as required.
• Self-starter / Autonomous
• Attention to detail
It is expected that all Semmco employees will act appropriately in all dealings with customers, suppliers, members of the public and other members of staff, to work and communicate in a professional manner either face to face, over the telephone or via written communication (including email) at all times.